Some of the best wedding photography, some of the best photography, is in Black & White. There is some debate as to the reason why, but for the most part many people just seem to like the look of a well composed Black & white picture.
- Colours can be distracting and complicated. We are sometime drawn to a noticeable colour even if it is not the subject of the image. Black and White avoids this.
- Light and shadow are effective in Black and White.
- Many famous painters would base portraits on geometric patterns. This underlying geometric pattern is a little more prominent in a black and white image
- We seem to have an association between monochrome images and classic looks, or artistic merit. Black and white is thought of as Classy, or at least feels historical.
- Just being in black and white gives a certain mood to an image, and this mood is there whether the picture is happy, melancholy, bittersweet or tragic.
- White wedding dresses and dark bridegroom suits often translate well to a Black and white image. They do not lose much impact when they lose their colour.
- In going to black and white we tend to lose some imperfections. We can lose minor facial details and are left with the look that defines the person’s face.
Best Wedding Photographer
Of course I’s all digital these days, few images are originally taken in black and white. But the best wedding photographer will Photoshop an image into black and white if s/he sees the potential there.